This problem of Missing AOL Gold Icon is a very prominent and common issue with desktop gold users. Sometimes even if you download AOL Desktop Gold again, the problem still remains. So to get rid of this exasperating problem and also to know its root causes, you can try the following solutions:
Solution 1: Check your computer settings
- On your computer screen, right-click anywhere and click on the ‘view’ option.
- And under this select ‘show desktop icons’ from the list displayed. See if this option has been checked or not. If it hasn’t, then ‘check’ it.
- Now leave the menu and refresh your page and see whether or not the desktop gold icon has appeared.
Solution 2: Inspect your PC for any malicious software and discard it.
Sometimes viruses like Trojan and other worms pose a great threat to the software programs on your computer as they take full control over them and corrupting them overtime. So to remove such threats from the system you have to:
- Download a trustworthy PC scanner tool and run this program on your computer.
- After the computer has been thoroughly scanned, you will get a detailed list of all the existing threats.
- And to remove them, you have to right click on the name of each threat or virus and press ‘delete’.
You need to restart your computer after deleting every threat on the list. After restarting your PC check if the problem has disappeared and if you can see the icon on the screen.
Solution 3: Add an AOL desktop icon on your desktop
Sometimes, to solve this problem, you need to recreate the icon on your desktop through the installed AOL files.
- Firstly, go to ‘my computer’ and click on Drive C and under this select ‘program files’ and choose ‘AOL’.
- Now locate the desktop gold icon inside the folder.
- Now drag the icon from the folder to the desktop screen.
Solution 4: Keep the AOL icon under the ‘dock’ option.
This method of keeping it under the Dock option prevents it from going missing. To know how to do this, follow the instructions:
- Open the desktop gold software and place the mouse over the desktop gold icon in the dock.
- And now, select the ‘keep it in the dock’ option.
These are some of the basic solutions to restore the missing icon back. But if none of these work, go for the advanced solutions mentioned below:
Also Read: Install AOL Desktop Gold for Windows & Mac