Different users have different preferences with regard to the email providers they use or the applications they like. Some people may like the email features provided by AOL Desktop Gold while at the same time they may have gotten used to other email applications like Microsoft Outlook. Although AOL Desktop Gold is compatible with different operating systems and applications users have encountered problems where they cannot log in to AOL Desktop Gold from Microsoft Outlook. This problem is especially likely to occur when you attempt to update AOL Desktop Gold since some of the system settings may change in the process. Well then if you are facing this type of error then your timing could not be better. This article will guide you on how to troubleshoot AOL Desktop Gold so that you can resolve these login errors
What to do when you can’t log in to AOL Desktop Gold from Microsoft Outlook?
It is very important to note that when you install AOL Desktop Gold your account should be properly synced with Microsoft Outlook. If it is not synced correctly you will not be able to log in or access AOL Gold account through Outlook. But if you have faced this sort of sign in error then don’t worry because there are certain steps you can do to fix the issue. You can try manually adding server types to resolve the error. You will just need to follow the steps given below in the correct order to troubleshoot AOL Desktop Gold:
- Open Microsoft Outlook on your computer and click the ‘File’ tab.
- Under the ‘Account Settings’, look for the ‘Add account’ button.
- Select the “Manual setup or additional server types”
- Pick ‘IMAP or POP’ and enter the required information as follows
- Account type: IMAP
- Incoming mail server: imap.aol.com
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.aol.com
- Under Login information, just type the AOL username and password
- Select the ‘Outgoing Server’ option from the settings menu.
- Select the button that reads ‘Use same settings as my incoming mail server’
- Open the ‘Advanced’ tab enter the information given below:
- Incoming server (IMAP): 993 or 143
- Incoming server encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing server (SMTP): 587
- Outgoing server encrypted connection: TLS
Carefully review the information you entered to make sure it is accurate. Once you verify all the information click ‘OK’. In the event that both the operations are completed successfully, you can go ahead and finish the process by clicking ‘Close’. Once you have completed all the steps in correct order do not forget to restart Microsoft Outlook so that the changes you made are saved. These steps should resolve the AOL Desktop Gold and Microsoft Outlook login error.
If these steps do not work then you should consider deleting the program and all the related files. Then you can try and Update AOL Desktop Gold once again from the beginning. If you need any assistance during the installation process you can contact customer support at any time of the day and seek more information about the technical aspects involved.